Calgary launches tax relief program to assist June hailstorm victims

CALGARY (660 NEWS) – Northeast Calgary residents still dealing with the aftermath of the June hailstorm that ravaged numerous homes are getting a step up.

After the motion was passed earlier in November, the Property Tax Hailstorm Relief Program has opened up today.

“(The program is meant) to go over many of the issues our residents have with claims and the long time periods for claim processing and the difficulties they may be having navigating the insurance system,” says Ward 5 Councillor George Chahal.

Taxes will be deferred to Dec. 31, 2021 for those still waiting for repairs.

“If you were affected by that storm, you can ask for a deferral. And, if you have further difficulties into 2021, you’ll be able to apply for a deferral as well.”

“This is just a measure that our council working with city administration has brought forward to support our residents in this difficult time.”

The storm was the fourth costliest in Canadian history, resulting in more than $1.3 billion worth of damage.

Chahal says more still needs to be done, but this can provide some short term relief.

“It does give our residents some breathing room and able to them to fix and repair their homes.”

Taxes will still have to be paid, but it is a step to provide some relief during the pandemic.

“I hope the provincial government will partner and look at some of the initiatives the City of Calgary brought forward (…) and see merit in working with us to find better solutions.”

Residents who have already paid taxes will not receive a refund.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today