CBE request dismissal of lawsuit in case of late teacher accused of sexual misconduct
Posted Dec 21, 2021 3:04 pm.
The Calgary Board of Education is asking a judge to dismiss a proposed class-action lawsuit against it, arguing that the board is not responsible for alleged sexual misconduct by a teacher who died earlier this year.
Michael Gregory, who worked at John Ware Junior High School, was charged in February with 17 counts of sexual assault and sexual exploitation.
Police said at the time that several former students had come forward with accusations against him.
A few days later, Gregory died. Police said his death was not believed to be criminal.
READ MORE:
-
‘He is a monster’: Former students sue CBE for failing to investigate abusive teacher
-
ATA didn’t report abusive Calgary teacher to police in 2006
-
Alberta education minister fast tracking legislation in light of Calgary teacher abuse allegations
Three former students filed a lawsuit last month against Gregory’s estate and the school board.
They allege abuse by Gregory and claim that school board staff were aware of the accusations but did nothing.
None of the allegations has been proven in court.
The school board’s statement of defence argues the plaintiffs were not within the board’s care or supervision.