Southeast Calgary home ‘completely destroyed’ in fire

A home in the southeast community of Maple Ridge is “completely destroyed,” the Calgary Fire Department says, after a blaze broke out Tuesday afternoon.

CFD says around 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 5, a person was walking on Maplemont Road SE when they saw smoke coming from a house that was under renovation and called 911.

At the same time, another person called 911 and alerted the next door neighbours to the growing fire. They were able to evacuate with their pet birds, Calgary fire adds.

A second alarm was sounded to get more resources to the fire.

CPS members were on scene to assist with crowd and traffic management and EMS were there to deal with any injuries, Calgary fire says, and Enmax and ATCO were called to the scene to disconnect utilities to the source house and the house to the north.

Fire crews were able to get the fire under control by 6 p.m.

A cat was rescued from the house to the north, which saw damage to the attic, roof, and upstairs.

Calgary fire says the home where the fire started is “completely destroyed.”

The house south of where the fire started got minor heat damage on the outside.

Residents were allowed to go back in their homes once responders determined there was no carbon monoxide inside.

Firefighters were also able to recover some of the homeowner’s valueables alongside the cat.

No injuries were reported, and the CFD investigation is working to figure out what happened.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today