Calgary standoff suspect had shotgun, cache of firearms: ASIRT

More information has been released about the 30-hour standoff that took place in the southeast community of Penbrooke Meadows earlier this month, ending in a man being killed.

New details have been released about the 30-hour standoff in the northeast Calgary community of Penbrooke Meadows earlier this month, as the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) takes over investigation into the incident that left one man dead.

Calgary Police Service (CPS) officers and members of the RCMP arrived at a home on Penswood Way SE to execute a search warrant around 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 14.

ASIRT says officers used a loudspeaker to identify themselves and the reason they were there. Police also told anyone in the house to leave, and four people did.

One man stayed inside the house following requests from police to leave, and began shooting at police repeatedly.

Calgary police would later say over 100 rounds were fired during the course of the event.

Around 8:41 p.m. on March 15, gunshots came from the front of the home, according to ASIRT, and hit an armoured CPS vehicle and an armoured RCMP vehicle.



A gunshot then came from the back of the house and police say the man came into the outer doorway.

Officers from CPS and the RCMP fired and hit the man.

ASIRT says tactical emergency medical services personnel approached the scene and declared the man dead.

A shotgun recovered from the home involved in a 30-hour standoff with police in Calgary. (Courtesy Calgary Police Service)
A shotgun recovered from the home involved in a 30-hour standoff with police in Calgary. (Courtesy Calgary Police Service)

Police found a shotgun on the man’s arm and more guns were found inside the house.

The man was later identified as 45-year-old Patrick Robert Kimmel.

ASIRT says its investigation — launched after the death of the suspect — will look at the uses of force.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today