Arrest made in death of 16-year-old girl in Edmonton
Posted Aug 18, 2026 1:35 pm.
Last Updated Aug 19, 2026 3:59 pm.
Edmonton police say a youth has been arrested in connection with the death of a teenage girl after a shooting on the north side over the weekend.
A 16-year-old girl died after being found seriously injured Sunday morning near 139 Avenue and 32 Street. Officers were responding to reports of a shooting around 6:50 a.m.
An autopsy remains scheduled for Wednesday.
Police have yet to identify the girl or the circumstances of the shooting, though the girl’s family described her to CityNews as a loving daughter, sister, and cousin. They say she was visiting a friend. Loved ones want answers and justice.
Edmonton police did not identify the circumstances of the shooting. “We’ll issue a formal release once we have the findings and can provide additional information. Thank you for your continued patience as we work through the complexities of the investigation,” a police spokesperson wrote in a brief note to media announcing the arrest.

Edmonton police Chief Warren Driechel, who confirmed the arrest to CityNews, says violence among youth is increasing. Driechel was answering a question about the teenager’s death and the homicide of a 12-year-old boy whose body was found north of Edmonton two weeks ago.
“I think what is alarming with this is there are firearms involved, and they are happening in public places these murders. And I think that is very concerning,” the chief said.
Residents in Edmonton’s Hairsine neighbourhood say even with the arrest, they remain shaken by the early-morning shooting.
“We heard people screaming and asking for help and stuff like that,” recounted Iqra Ali.
“It is not safe. Especially we have kids around here, playing around here. They can’t even go outside because they’re scared of what they heard from the news, and especially it’s very close to us.”
But Driechel says there is “no real threat to the public.”
“We’re always getting on these very quickly,” he said of murder investigations. “There is no general threat to the public, but it is something we are watching for sure.”
Chief Driechel says the police service is tackling youth crimes with initiatives like the Y:Five-O diversion program, which monitors the top 50 most violent and prolific offenders, and their gang mentorship program.
–With files from Hiba Kamal-Choufi
Editor’s note: CityNews previously identified the victim after her family shared her name and photo. We have since removed that identifying information pursuant to the Youth Criminal Justice Act.