Edmonton Marathon was 674 metres too long, putting race times at risk
Posted Aug 19, 2026 9:44 am.
Sunday was meant to be a day of endurance for runners in Edmonton.
The Edmonton Marathon saw thousands of runners compete, not just for personal bests, but to qualify for the coveted Boston Marathon next spring.
Mitch Walz was one of those avid runners who trained for a year to run his premier race. But he felt something was off with his timing as the race entered the final stretch.
“It was a struggle to finish just mentally,” Walz told CityNews. “I spent the last three kilometres of that race just trying to figure out what went wrong.”

That gut feeling turned out to be right.
Construction on the Wellington Bridge meant the marathon had to have a detour through the Glenora neighbourhood. But that detour added 674 metres to the race – about six city blocks.
‘We sincerely apologize’
The marathon is now admitting this, despite saying Monday the route was adjusted correctly.
“The Edmonton Marathon’s previous statement detailing confidence in the course certification process was issued with the best information it had at the time,” said race director Tom Keogh in a statement Tuesday. “Since then, and after receiving notes from participants, including elite athletes that the course ran longer than its certified distance, we undertook a detailed review of the physical measurement of the certified course.
“That review has identified an error in how this year’s detour related course adjustments were calculated and for that we sincerely apologize.”
Keogh says the Edmonton Marathon takes full responsibility for the error, and it will review its certification process going forward.
“We do not take this lightly,” he said. “We understand that every participant arrives at the start line having invested months of dedicated training, hard work, courage and deeply held goals. We also understand we hosted the nation’s best athletes and their finishing times did not truly reflect their amazing performances.”
Walz says the mistake is “a big deal.”
“Because a lot of people like me in my situation train, like I said, entire years, multiple years for these situations, rejig our lives for it,” said Walz. “It’s a huge undertaking, and when you focus on this race, to have that sort of error take away all that hard work, that one hits hard.”
Marathon organizers say they will work with Athletics Canada on how the results can be recognized so some runners can go on to the Boston Marathon.
Walz says he did make a qualifying time but isn’t sure if he will make the cut for Boston this year. He hopes the organizers do better.
“Puts a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth, and I doubt I’ll be back next year regardless what they have to say about this.”