Father accused in deaths of 2 children makes first court appearance

A man accused of killing his two children made his first court appearance in a Calgary courtroom Monday, as those supporting the grieving mother say she’s living through a nightmare. Edward Djan has more.

By Edward Djan and News Staff

A man charged with killing his two young children appeared briefly in a Calgary courtroom Monday, marking the first step in a case that has left a mother surrounded by grief.

The 37‑year‑old father, who cannot be identified due to a publication ban, appeared virtually from detention and showed no emotion.

He is facing two counts of first‑degree murder. His lawyer requested more time to gather information before the next steps in the case.

Police say the man, who was separated from the children’s mother, picked up the children for a scheduled visit last week but did not return them on time.

The mother called police, but was referred to the courts.

The accused then later called 911 on Thursday morning and allegedly admitted to killing the children. Officers found their bodies in the back of an SUV parked across the street from the District 3 station in northwest Calgary.

A memorial outside the Calgary Police Service District 3 station in NW Calgary on May 4, 2026. Setup for two young children who were found dead in a vehicle a short distance away. (CityNews/Edward Djan)

Those close to the mother say she is surrounded constantly by friends and community members who refuse to leave her alone in her grief.

“She’s getting weaker, she’s not eating, she’s not taking anything,” said Adanech Eyassu, executive director of the Immigrant Outreach Society. “It’s heartbreaking. She needs her entire community support at this difficult time.”

On Friday, the mother sought solace at the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahdo St. Michael Church in central Calgary, where she and her husband had been parishioners. She wept inside as fellow community members embraced her.

Police confirmed they had been called to a residence four times for domestic‑related concerns involving the couple. No charges were ever laid.

While investigators have not identified a motive, advocates say the case underscores the need for Canada to adopt criminal laws recognizing coercive control and non‑violent patterns of behaviour that restrict a partner’s autonomy. Similar legislation exists in the U.K.

“Coercive control, which is a pattern of behaviour that takes away someone’s ability to make decisions for their own best interest, often doesn’t include anything violent per se, but it’s enough to make someone feel controlled and afraid,” said Andrea Silverstone, CEO of Sagesse.

“People will call for support while experiencing coercive control, but it doesn’t hit any threshold for criminality.”

Statistics Canada reports that of the 40 to 60 children killed in Canada each year, most die at the hands of someone they know.

The accused is scheduled to return to court in June.

A fundraiser has been launched to help the family with funeral costs.

Keep it Factual
Add CityNews Calgary as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today